Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Who Defines Beauty?

So last night I decided that I would go out with my good friend Music Junkie.I hardly ever go out with him when his friends are involved.We don't really mix all that well.But that is not the point.Conversation was good for the most part until I was asked why I am going natural.I told them my reasons and that it gives me a sense of freedom.I don't have to worry about keeping up with a relaxer and all that comes along with having straight hair.Out of no where one of the loud mouths said who would think having natural hair was beautiful.I was instantly irritated with him.Maybe because I don't care for him as a person had something to do with that.I asked him who's standard of beauty was he talking about.So the debate began.I was not backing down on my point and he was not backing down on his.I said that to ask the question who defines beauty?I just heard a lady say that being beautiful should be a full time job because looks mean everything.We as people put way to much into how we look and what we have on.Not enough into our families and education.I am guilty of being a part of this crowd as well.But it comes a point when you realize that my looks are not going to get me anything in the real world.It is not going to get me a job unless that is the business I am going into.It is not going to pay my bills or feed me when I am hungry.I am beautiful but my attitude is horrible.Having a bad attitude makes some the most beautiful people look so ugly.We need to change the way we think.Beauty does not define who you are as a person.Stop focusing so much on how a person looks and focus on what they are like on the inside.I know some people might say that I have never had a problem with the way I look.But no matter how you look someone will find something wrong with you.Look on the inside of a person before you start to judge them.My natural hair does not define me as a person.It is just a part of who I am at this point in my life and it is a beautiful thing.I will end this with a quote from the actress Salma Hayek.
"People often say that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder,' and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look, including inside ourselves. "
Peace and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment